Friday, December 31, 2004

Breakaway

I realize that I was told that I have to take a quiz, but I just posted something like that, and so will wait until I have nothing else to post about.

I want to tell you how SICK I am of being "conservative, but nice." I LOATHE being predictable, and not spontaneous. I ABHOR the fact that I think everything through, and think about the consequences an action might take. I DETEST that I never take risks, and always, ALWAYS do what is practical.

This year that changes! I am going to take risks. I am stepping out of my comfort zone, and I am actually going to DO something with my life.
I am twenty-five years old, I am single, and I am educated!!!!!
There are a million things I could do, but I don't because .... I don't know why really... I just don't do them.

Now is a perfect time for me to be living wherever I want to live, doing whatever I want (the Lord wants) me to do. There is NOTHING holding me to Circleville, Ohio....NOTHING!!!!!! My life is the same now, as it was when I moved here. I have the same friends, the same circle of places to go, and a job that is taking me nowhere.

So, why am I still here. Why am I not actively promoting myself to colleges, universities, and churches where I KNOW I am the PERFECT candidate for whatever position they have. Why have I been complacent for so long? Why have I been settling for not meeting new people, working at a job that, while I am good at it, is not something I have been called to do, and living in Ohio. I am not an Ohioan. Don't know exactly what I am or where I'm supposed to be, but small-town living is not for me for the rest of my life.

This may sound crazy, and a bit egotistical...but I KNOW I was made for great things. I know there is something HUGE that God has planned for me, I just haven't figured out what exactly that is.

I have a theme song. I started crying the minute I heard this song, because it fits me. It describes what I'm doing. Some of you may think it silly because the artist is Kelly Clarkson, but this song is really great. It's called Breakaway....and I would like to share some of the words with you.

Grew up in a small town. And when the rain would fall down,
I'd just stare out my window. Dreamin' of what could be,
And if I'd end up happy. I would pray.
Trying hard to reach out. But, when I tried to speak out,
Felt like no one could hear me. Wanted to belong here,
But something felt so wrong here. So I prayed I could break away.

I'll spread my wings and I'll learn how to fly
I'll do what it takes till I touch the sky
And I'll make a wish, take a chance, make a change
And break away
Out of the darkness and into the sun
But, I won't forget all the ones that I love
I'll take a risk, take a chance, make a change
And break away

Wanna feel the warm breeze. Sleep under a palm tree.
Feel the rush of the ocean. Get on board a fast train
Travel on a jetplane, far away And break away.
Buildings with a hundred floors Swinging round revolving doors
Maybe I don't know where they'll take me
But, gotta keep moving on, moving on Fly away, break away

I'll spread my wings and I'll learn how to fly
Though it's not easy to tell you goodbye,
Gotta Take a risk, take a chance, make a change
And break away
Out of the darkness and into the sun But, I won't forget of the place I come from
I gotta take a risk, take a chance, make a change And break away
*****
It's a great song.

And so, though I am kind of scared to say this, because I commit myself to it, I am moving to California.
I am applying for various jobs I have found, asking various Christian colleges if they have positions open, and writing to churches to see if they have any pastorates available.
I hope to be moving no early than late March and no later than the beginning of June.

So that's the deal. Pray for me please. Tell me you love me often...I seem to need that quite a bit lately.




10 Comments:

At 5:24 PM, Blogger *sara* said...

Ok, first of all--I love you. very much in fact, and though you don't want to hear this, i love the fact that you are predictable. None of us are where we dreamed we would be 5 years ago...we're all too complacent, or chicken perhaps. I thought about being daring..i moved a whole 2 hours from my family to start a "career" which didn't work out, now we're stuck in this town with absolutely no extra money and miserable. Will California make things better? I mean, if thats what you really truly want--then go-with my blessing and my love. But I love you just how you are--good, bad or otherwise--predictable or spontaneous, and living in california, or even michigan, indiana, ohio or new york isn't going to change that. Happy new year dear heart.

 
At 11:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's HEather. So all i have to say is WOW! I already heard your plan of going to california but it makes a little more since now that ive read your blog. *yes i used the word blog, no im not happy about it.) I heart you bunches and if you move to California I hope that you love it there and that you find you calling. Only one thing...I will so have to visit. Smiles. On another subject...I liked that 9 days of Christmas but honey i think youre a little more that "focused" on Vin Deisel. Quite possibly pathetic, but I heart you bunches anyway. Ill see you at work tomorrow. ~ Heather

PS: I hate living in this small town also and I cant wait to breakaway...well completely. Things are wonderful when im at school!

 
At 12:31 PM, Blogger lexerdax said...

I agree with Sara. None of us are today where we dreamed five years ago that we would be. Well, maybe Charlene and Jeremiah, but they don't count. :) There are rumors flying about that our church (http://new-beginning.us) is hiring staff. You should e-mail Pastor Paul. :)

I love you and am praying for you!

 
At 3:17 PM, Blogger Heather said...

Hi Erika...not sure if you remember me. But I read your blog pretty regularly. (If you read mine right now, you'll think I am just a lunatic, but really, I am optimistic that things will get better). Anyways, good luck with your chance to California. I moved to Oklahoma to be closer to my fiance who is now my husband. It's funny how we think everything we want is in one place, only to realize it's not that simple. While I am with the man I love, I miss my family terribly...something's missing. But I hope you find what you want in California. You're right that now is the time to do what you want to do. Good luck and best wishes.
-Heather (Morgan) Dethloff

 
At 1:29 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

whats up mama. i just wanted to stand behind your choice to move. i know how it feels to get ready to step out on something new. it is hard when people tell you that they think your decision is wrong and i am not going to tell you that. i think it is wonderful that you are expanding (and i don't meen getting fat i mean moving out). i think that we should do things sometimes for reasons we may not understand. and other people may not understand either. i will let you know you will be missed but still loved. and it will give me and rachel a good reason to visit california.

 
At 10:23 AM, Blogger Paul said...

Good! Goody goody good! If it's not working, change, and see if that helps. Definitely move, try anything different that you can think of, to jumpstart your happiness. No, you don't sound egotistical, either, you sound convinced, which isn't bad at all. Just keep that confidence with you no matter what happens, and you'll be great. I think you're destined for great things too.

 
At 8:47 PM, Blogger simplymama said...

That song has been reallying hitting home for me. I went and bought the soundtrack from Princess Diaries 2, just for that song...but then I am breaking away from different things.

Here is my thought

Switchfoot THis is your life...

Yesterday is a wrinkle on your forehead
Yesterday is a promise that you’ve broken
Don’t close your eyes
Don’t close your eyes

This is your life and today is all you’ve got now
And today is all you’ll ever have
Don’t close your eyes
Don’t close your eyes

This is your life
Are you who you want to be
This is your life
Are you who you want to be
This is your life
Is it everything you’ve dreamed it would be
When the world was younger
and you had everything to lose

don’t close your eyes
don’t close your eyes

yesterday is a kid in the corner
yesterday is dead and over

this is your life
are you who you want to be
this is your life
are you who you want to be
this is your life
is everything you’ve dreamed it would be
when the world was younger
and you had everything to lose

don’t close your eyes
don’t close your eyes

 
At 4:58 AM, Blogger *sara* said...

im off monday and tuesday..call me...maybe we can find a halfway point :)

 
At 9:58 PM, Blogger lexerdax said...

I love you! (often :) )

 
At 1:39 AM, Blogger *sara* said...

where are you?????????????????/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home